Anyone who loves the outdoors knows the importance of good equipment. A camping trip isn’t enjoyable without a sturdy tent, just like kayaking isn’t fun with a leaky boat.
Even something as deceptively simple as a hike requires a certain degree of diligence. Hikers often wear a backpack with compartments for a water bottle, snacks, supplies and other items. You may need a heavy jacket and gloves for a late fall or winter hike. In short, preparation is key.
When you’re getting ready for your next expedition, you’ll need to search for a reliable pair of boots. If you haven't replaced them recently and you’re starting to notice issues, you should probably upgrade to a pair that will help you to safely and comfortably navigate the wilderness.
Read on to learn about the most popular boots for outdoor recreation. After you find a pair that's right for the hike you’re planning, you'll never look at your boots the same way again.
Best Recreational Outdoor Boot Reviews For Men, Women
1. Dream Pairs Women's Mid Calf Snow Boots
- Durable water and wind-resistant,Cushioned footbed provides all-day comfort.
- Winter boot featuring 200g Thermolite insulation designed to keep your feet warm in conditions as low as -25 Degree Fahrenheit
- FITTING TIPS: Full Size Only, Order One Size Up For Loose Fit!
- Product measurements were taken using size 7 US, width M. Please note that measurements may vary by size.
- Approx measurements- Heel height: 1.5 in ; Platform height: 0.8 in; Shaft Height: 7.5 in; Circumference: 11 in.
Plenty of people go hiking every winter, so if you have plans to do the same, make sure you leave your home in the Dream Pairs fur line snow boots. They're made of sturdy material above the sole that's also completely waterproof. If you walk through snow or rain, your feet will stay completely dry.
You'll also find that they're seam sealed. Loose seams are a common way that snow and water can seep through hiking boots. These insulated boots will protect you in temperatures as low as -25 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Salomon Men's Quest 4 Lightweight Canvas Boots
- Waterproof Backpacking Boots: Designed for long expeditions and tough conditions, the Quest 4 is grippy and supportive. We’ve updated the chassis to target sensitive articulations and wrap the foot for extra support
- Any Path Your Way: Light and cushioned with tail running shoe adapted technology, yet supportive enough for backpacking, the Quest 4 waterproof hiking boot helps you get to the next camp site with happier feet
- Adventure Awaits: Whether you love a local day hike or hitting the trails for a multi-day adventure, Salomon makes innovative hiking and backpacking shoes and boots for men and women to help you go the distance
- Time To Play: Whether you are into trail running, hiking, backpacking, or mountaineering, Salomon has shoes and gear for kids, men and women to help you conquer a new distance, personal record, or event
- Since 1947 Salomon has created innovative outdoor sports gear; From running and hiking to backpacking, skiing and more, our shoes, boots, bags, apparel and accessories help make any path your own
Hikers who have been in the game for a while have probably seen the Salomon brand in different stores. It's a popular brand for hiking boots, which is why they've been one of the top sellers for 60 years.
These GTX boots are made for cool to cold weather hiking. Above the sole, the boots are made with seam-sealed Gore-Tex membranes. This makes them waterproof while also ventilating your feet.
Another notable feature is that these boots are made with thermoplastic urethane, which helps stabilize your feet and reduce ankle strains in rocky or uneven terrain.
3. Keen Women's Durand Polar Boots
- Leather-and-fabric winter boot featuring faux fur collar and tongue lining
- 400g Keen.Warm insulation
- Non-marking lugged rubber outsole
Made in Portland, Oregon, the Durland Polar winter boot was made with winter hiking in mind. It will keep your feet warm with its insulation and faux fur collar. A thermal heat shield footbed protects feet from cold terrain while also adding extra cushioning for comfort.
The lugged rubber sole provides more grip for hikers in slippery conditions, protecting the toes with a solid top cap. Anyone wearing these boots in the freezing rain or snow will have dry, warm feet all day long.
4. Polo Ralph Lauren Men's Dover III Boots
- Rugged, duck-inspired boot with adjustable strap
- Metallic pony logo
- Mid-cut height
Ever find yourself yearning for a quick hike when you’re out on the town? You don't need to worry about switching shoes if you wear the Ralph Lauren Dover III boots. They're made to fit in with any street fashion but still be your best bet on an afternoon hike.
They're designed with a high top silhouette for maximum ankle protection and a deeply treaded rubber sole for traction. These boots can withstand colder temperatures and are water-resistant, so they'll work on most trails. The cushioned insole returns energy for each step for additional comfort and wears up to seven years.
5. Sorel Men's Conquest Boot
- Rated to -40 degrees F
- Waterproof leather
- 400g Thinsulate Ultra insulation
- Built-in gaiter bootie with bungee drawstring and barrel-lock enclosure for deep snow
If you need some extra support during your hikes, slip into a pair of Sorel Conquest boots. They have a firm upper build that provides extra ankle support, resulting in a tight boot that's great on tough terrain.
The extended rubber bottom halves, offer 100% waterproof protection, even when you are wading through deep water puddles or mud. You'll also find your feet warm and cozy in up to -40 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures.
The Thinsulate Ultra Insulation makes winter hiking easy, resulting in few stops to warm up. That leaves you free to stop and check your navigation apps to keep you on track on the trail.
6. Columbia Women's Heavenly Omni Breathable Winter Boot
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: This women's snow boot is constructed from our Omni-TECH seam-sealed membrane bootie, providing a waterproof yet breathable envelope. It combines with our Omni-HEAT reflective lining for added thermal insulation and maximum warmth.
- STYLE MEETS FUNCTION FOR EXTREME WEATHER: The perfect combination of function and style, this sleek boot commands attention everywhere it goes, while keeping your feet warm and dry in the extremes.
- MATERIAL: A synthetic woven textile upper, PU footbed midsole, and our signature Omni-GRIP non-marking traction rubber outsole make this boot perfect for any cold, icy days.
- HANDY FEATURES: It features a soft faux fur collar and tongue lining, metal rivets and lacing aglets, excellent 200g insulation, and a removable contoured PU footbed.
- TEMPERATURE RATINGS: Rated -25F/-32C for cold, heavy snow days.
Sometimes when you’re hiking in winter terrain, you need to wear thicker insulating pants or coveralls. That's when you'll need an ankle boot like Columbia's Heavenly Shorties, which provide style and comfort all in one.
The Omni-TECH seam-sealed booties are waterproof but still breathable, so you can walk comfortably and have ventilated shoes. They're made with a quilted outer style that make them stylish and practical, considering that the quilted material is made out of 200g insulation.
7. Carhartt Men's Hiking Boot
- Composite Safety Toe. Identifies protection against impact and compression hazards with a composite (non-metallic) safety toe. Composite toes meet ASTM F2413-18 standards.
- Electrical Hazard (Safety Toe). Identifies secondary protection against incidental contact with electrical circuits of 18,000 volts or less under dry conditions. Safety Toe EH styles meet ASTM F2413-18 EH standards.
- Storm Defender Waterproof Breathable Protection. These shoes are designed to be completely waterproof and to keep your feet dry in most types of wet conditions. A waterproof and breathable membrane is used to keep your feet dry but promote air flow and circulation.
- Oil tanned leather upper
- Cushion Comfort Insole. Carhartt PU with Foam cushion insole provides comfortable support and reduces foot fatigue.
Hiking during the spring to fall months, means that you don't need the heavy insulation of winter hiking boots. Instead, you'll need the Carhartt hiking boot, which was designed to pair well with any casual or hiking clothes.
These 100% leather boots have a rubber sole and a six-eyelet design, followed by speed hooks. These secure the laces in place for long after the start of your hike.
Cement construction ensures extra durability, while still containing an Ortholite insole for comfort. This lightweight and waterproof boot will help you navigate trails, as well as your daily life.
8. Women Men Hiking Boots Winter Warm Lining Snow Boot Outdoor Anti Slip Water Resistant
- Classic Ankle Bootie Design: The Mishansha winter snow boots features classic lace up design are never out of date. They can be matched with any clothes.
- Leather upper: The hiking boots prevent the water seeping into the boots. Animal leather and artificial leather are called leather. Mishansha's brand concept is from the perspective of protecting the world's ecological environment, in response to the call of the World Animal Protection Association, for the balance between humans and animals. In order to carry this concept through, these boots of Mishansha are made of artificial leather. Notice: It's water-resistant, not waterproof.
- Warm Fax Fur interior: These work boots keep your feet warm and dry throughout the day.
- Rubber out sole: The outdoor trekking shoes provide you a long lasting support and good traction in winter days.
- Perfect for walking, skiing, hiking, mountaineering, camping, casual, working, shopping, driving, vacation, and also a good christmas gift.
If you are looking for a pair of cute and comfortable outdoor boots for walking, light hiking, fishing and other outdoor activities, then the Women Men Hiking boot is perfect. Their upper features 50% full-grain leather and 50% wool, resulting in a boot that delivers comfort, warmth, as well as reliable trail performance.
These outdoor boots for winter also come with a wrap-around lace-up closure, to give you a customized fit. The upper is water-resistant and seam-sealed, to prevent moisture from seeping into the foot chamber while the full-length gusseted tongue ensures sticks, sand, rocks, and pebbles don’t get into the shoe. Their collar is sufficiently padded, to keep your ankles warm while helping to prevent excessive rubbing and friction.
Unlike other winter hiking boots, these don’t require any break-in period. They are comfortable straight out of the box. As long as you choose the right size, they will conform to your feet right away. Plus, they are also super stylish and trendy. In fact, you will get compliments wherever you go with these boots. From walking around town to running errands during winter, short hikes to going to school, these boots are perfect for almost all winter and spring outdoor activities.
9. AMIDEWA Men’s Snow Ankle Boots Fur Lined Warm Anti-slip Outdoor Work Shoes for Cold Weather Hiking Camping Backpacking
- ❆【Warm and Breathable】Warm and comfort faux fur lined covers the inside of the snow boots and imitated Leather PU upper, which keep your feet warmer and breathable in cold weather.
- ❆【Anti-Slip TPR Outsole】Anti-slip designed TPR sole offer a abrasion resisting and non-skid performance to our outdoor boots, enhances traction and shock absorption, which keep you safe and make you walk freely.
- ❆【Comfortable & Easy to Wear】The faux fur insole provide incomparable comfort and thermal retention for these mens snow boots, and the convenient speedy lace hooks designed for easy wearing.
- ❆【Durable Outdoor Boots】Fine craftsmanship and excellent materials make these pair of snow boots durable and water repellent. The thickened toe caps prevent feet from hurts caused by rocks and hard stones impacts.
- ❆【Multifuntions & Gift Idea】Classic and fashional style, suitable for outdoor activities in cold winter, daily walking, hiking, camping, climbing, casual wearing and so on. It’s a great gift for your father, husband, boyfriend for Thanksgiving day or for Christmas.
These AMIDEWA boots are made with AMIDEWA standards in mind. That means you'll buy a pair of boots that will keep you dry, stay fresh, insulate your feet and grip slippery terrain.
The upper boot suede is stylish, waterproof and comes in two different colors. The boots are also made with fleece lining for insulation in addition to the Thinsulation that the AMIDEWA brand makes. For extra comfort, the boots also include a AMIDEWA air cushion in the soles. This level of comfort will keep your feet from getting sore too soon into your hike.
10. Timberland Women's Keele Leather Winter Boot
- In the style size "C" refers to "WIDE"
Women who are looking for something a little different in their next pair of winter boots should try out the Timberland Keel Ridge boots. It's a top-rated hiking boot because they don't require a break-in period and are made of premium leather.
Extra cushioning around the ankles means that you'll have all the ankle support and comfort you need for long hikes. The laces can be adjusted with the D-rings design, which makes them more easily tightened and formed to your feet. All of these features are in addition to being waterproof and lightweight, so you can continue wearing them during the warmer months.
Plan Out Your Hikes
The easiest way to narrow down your hiking boot options is to plan out your hikes. What terrain will you be covering and how long will your hikes be? Will the expedition be hard on your boots?
The answers to those questions will decide a number of things. They’ll essentially decide what type of boots you will have to choose, what material they are made of, and so on. Research your future hikes and their requirements, in order to be able to make a good selection from the list above. In doing so, you’ll feel more confident, more safe and more comfortable.