If you have the "pigeon foot" condition as an adult, you will need to wear special orthopedic shoes for Metatarsus Adductus. These shoes have different pain relief, support, cushioning, and comfort features. If you have been looking for these shoes, we share the best Metatarsus Adductus shoes for adults you can buy now. But first;
What is Metatarsus Addiuctus?
Metatarsus Adductus, also called MTA, is a foot condition that results in the foot's metatarsal bones turning inwards towards the middle of the body. In appearance, this condition is a deformity, and it may result in some loss of balance when walking or running.
Metatarsus Adductus is fairly common in small children, and it often resolves without any medication. However, this deformity might not resolve completely, which would mean an adult with Metatarsus Adductus will need to wear specially designed shoes to correct the foot positioning and provide balance.
The best Metatarsus Adductus shoes have, among other features, a proprietary injection-molded midsole and outsole, so it provides ample cushioning and support. In addition, the outsole has to be very flexible to facilitate easy landing and takeoff, and a sturdy heel counter to lock in a good fit.
So, let us discover the best Metatarsus Adductus shoes for adults today. Read on also to learn the factors that should influence your purchase. Let's jump right in:
1. United Ortho Short Air Cam Walker
- BEFORE PURCHASING please view our sizing chart (second image). Size Large fits men’s 9.5-12 and women’s 11-12+ shoe size. Size Large weighs 2.5 pounds and can be worn on the left or right foot
- USER GUIDE included in each boot for proper application. Please follow the steps provided for ideal fit and comfort
- PROMOTES NATURAL WALKING with rocker sole and shock-absorbing insole promote more natural walking during use
- STURDY plastic molded uprights with steel reinforcement provides increased durability. Shock-absorbing insole reduces impact of heel strike when walking
- CAM WALKER BOOT can be used for acute ankle sprains, soft tissue injuries, stable lower leg, foot and ankle fractures and post-operative use
This United Ortho shoe is ideal for adults with Metatarsus Adductus and other foot injuries, especially where you wear a cast or bandage. The breathable upper comes with a hook and loop closure to get the best fit for your foot. The closure will help you find a proper foot and body alignment for better comfort and gait for MTA.
The shoe comes with a rocker sole plus a carefully designed insole for the best shock absorption. The black orthopedic sandals are available in different sizes, from small to large, and have an open toe box to guarantee better toe movement.
The best shoes for various foot problems can be worn on the right or left foot and comes at an affordable price under $50. In addition, it is suitable for a child's foot, women, and men.
2. Vive Post Op Shoe
- BEFORE YOU BUY: Please refer to the sizing chart if unsure of fit. Note: extra space between your toes and shoe is ideal (this design protects your toes). Size: US Men’s 7.5 - 8.5, Women’s 7 - 8.
- ADJUSTABLE SHOE FOR RIGHT OR LEFT FOOT: Providing a safe and secure fit, two adjustable straps allow the surgical walking boot to easily accommodate casts or bandages. Protective square toe design can...
- SUPPORTIVE PROTECTION AFTER SURGERY OR INJURY: Keeping a cast or bandages dry and dirt-free, the Vive post op shoe provides exceptional support and protection following injury or surgery on the toes,...
- NONSKID ROCKER SOLE: Non-skid tread provides extra stability while walking following surgery. The rigid rocker sole supports the arch and relieves pain and pressure on the forefoot and heel.
- LIGHTWEIGHT SQUARE TOE DESIGN: Lightweight post op shoe has a comfortable, wide square toe box to act as a bumper to protect your toes and provide additional room for bandages.
The Vive Post-Op shoe is great when correcting your gait from Metatarsus Adductus surgery or any other surgery or injury. The ortho shoe comes with a wide toe box to protect your toes, and the sandal design also ensures exceptional breathability.
The shoe is ideal for both feet and comes in different sizes for both men ad women. It also comes with a rigid rocker sole that provides exceptional cushioning for pain and pressure relief from the forefoot, ankles, and heel area. The MTA shoe also features a rubber outsole with non-skid treads for balance.
The upper design features hook and loop closure so you can find the best fit. In addition, it is a single adjustable shoe for Metatarsus Adductus and other foot ailments.
3. ProCare Squared Toe Post-Op Shoe
- Allows the dressing to be kept clean and toes dry, providing stable protection following post-operative procedures and forefoot trauma
- Square toe design acts as a bumper and provides additional room and comfort for your foot
- Features high ankle strapping that maintains your foot in proper position
- A rigid rocker sole allows for ease of ambulation and pressure reduction
- Universal fit allows the ProCare Squared Toe Post-Op Shoe to be worn on either the left or right foot
If you need the best shoes for Metatarsus Adductus, the ProCare Squared toe Post Op shoe is great. This shoe comes with ample cushioning, breathability, and comfort and will easily restore foot health even after surgery or injury.
The upper comes with a sturdy material that tightly hugs your foot to correct the flat feet condition. Then, the ankle area is sturdy, which offers enough support to prevent pain or strain.
The square toe design is a great bumper for preventing toe injuries, but it also guarantees comfortable takeoff when walking or running. The breathable mesh upper and a hook and loop closure provide the best comfort. Finally, the rigid rocker sole will absorb shock and offer enough grip on all surfaces.
4. HOKA ONE ONE Mens Bondi 6 Running Shoe
Are you looking for the best Metatarsus Adductus shoes for adults that meet fashion requirements? Look no further than these Hoka One One Bondi 6 running shoes for men. For starters, these come in pairs, unlike our options above. Therefore, they are great and comfortable shoes to wear outdoors, especially in athletic environments.
According to Hoka One One, these are the most cushioned shoes in the lineup, with an EVA midsole plus a removable insole. Furthermore, the shoes come with a rocker outsole, thus great for runners with pigeon foot condition. In addition, the shoes come with a beveled heel that increases durability and eases takeoff.
The shoes come with lightweight rubber outsoles with a rugged tread pattern for excellent traction. They come in different colors and sizes for both men and women. Additionally, the breathable mesh upper will keep your feet comfortable, while the lace-up design also ensures you get the best fit to correct your metatarsal muscles.
5. BRACEABILITY Orthowedge Forefoot Off-Loading Healing Shoe
- BEFORE YOU BUY view our sizing chart (the 2nd image). The post-op wedge shoe fits US men's, women's and some big kid's shoe sizes. To accommodate heavy bandaging, order half a shoe size up. Wear on...
- Designed for individuals healing from a broken toe, metatarsal fracture, diabetic foot ulcer or recovering from forefoot surgery such as a bunionectomy, hammertoe or mallet toe correction.
- Protects your forefoot and toes with its 15-degree dorsi-angle bottom, forcing you to shift your weight to your heel when walking. The lack of pressure on the front of your foot and toes reduces pain...
- Square-toe design is spacious for comfort and acts as a protective bumper against further damage. Adjustable medical-grade fastener straps easily accommodate bandaging and swelling.
- Soft, durable material is breathable for all-day comfort during treatment. The orthopedic foam insole provides heel support, cushioning and shock absorption.
The Braceability ortho wedge is the perfect shoe to wear post-operation for MTA and diabetic foot ulcer. This shoe comes with the perfect 15-degree Dorsi-angle bottom design for Metatarsal Adductus as it helps you distribute most bodyweight to the heel rather than the forefoot. It is also ideal for both feet and can be worn by all adults.
The balance shoes have a spacious square-toe design to prevent injuries and provide extra room for bandages or casts when necessary. It also comes with adjustable straps to help you find the best fit for your MTA. Finally, a memory foam insole provides extra comfort and heel support for fast recovery.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Metatarsus Adductus Shoes for Adults
Though Metatarsus Adductus, also called pigeon toes, is more common in children under eight years, it is possible to carry the foot condition into adulthood. If you do, you will need special orthopedic shoes to correct your gait and improve comfort. Here are the main factors you will need to consider when getting MTA shoes.
a) Sturdy last
When buying shoes for Metatarsus Adductus, ensure you get those with a sturdy last to prevent aggravating the condition. It is also advisable to avoid shoes with a curved last as they will not correct your gait or offer the necessary support.
b) Rocker soles
When buying an orthopedic shoe, you will likely come across the term rigid rocker sole. This sole is thicker than normal soles and is designed as such to ease ambulation. When you have the Metatarsus Adductus condition, you want to limit strain on the metatarsal muscles, so a rocker sole will help you land softly.
Rocker soles are ideal when you want extra cushioning. Luckily, this cushioning also reduces landing force so that you feel more comfortable walking. If you are unsure whether your perfect shoes have rocker soles, look f0r those with proprietary injection-molded memory retention soles.
c) A sturdy outsole
A good shoe for Metatarsus Adductus support needs to offer exceptional arch support, and part of that comes from a substantial outsole. Therefore, when buying a shoe, look for one with a flexible outsole but one that does not bend all the way when you apply some pressure.
Having the right amount of flexibility is crucial since you do not want to bend your toes too much when taking off, as that could aggravate your foot problems. In addition, you need a gippy, rubber outsole to guarantee less strain while walking on different surfaces.
d) Shoe size
Every time you buy a new pair of shoes, it is best always to ensure you buy the right shoe size. This rule is even more strict when getting a shoe that supports your foot deformity. With this condition, you want to find your custom size, so;
Measure your foot's length when standing. First, make sure to capture the whole length, from the longest toe to the back of your heel. Then, take measurements of your foot's width. It is vital to measure the width as it will mostly determine whether you have the Metatarsus Adductus foot condition.
You can now continue to choose between different shoes. Often, these shoes will come in different sizes ranging from small to large or extra-large. When you get the length and width right, you don't necessarily need to worry about the uppers since they are mostly adjustable. However, in the case of a closed shoe, you need to go for a breathable mesh upper for added comfort.
e) Firm heel counter
Due to this foot deformity, you will need a sturdy heel counter that helps you get the best fit for your feet. A sturdy heel counter also improves support around your ankles and heel area so you will not strain when running or exercising.
When buying shoes for Metatarsus Adductus, avoid buying shoes with a soft heel counter that gives in when you apply some pressure with your hands. Instead, look for a firm heel counter that does not budge when you try to pinch it. When you wear these shoes, the extra ankle support will help align your gait and reduce pressure in your feet muscles.
Frequently Asked Questions About Metatarsus Adductus Shoes for Adults
a) Can special shoes for Metatarsus Adductus help?
Yes, these special ortho shoes can help you correct your gait by reducing pressure on the metatarsal muscles on your feet.
b) Which are the best shoes for MTA?
It is important to look for arch supports, cushioning, and pain relief features such as rocker soles, breathable uppers, sturdy heel counters, and ankle collars when buying the shoes.
c) What causes Metatarsus Adductus in Adults?
Metatarsus Adductus starts manifesting in small children. It is a foot deformity where the foot looks excessively curved inwards and can lead to muscle fatigue in extreme cases. However, you can correct this condition in a child's feet by wearing casts and special ortho shoes.
In some cases, the condition can continue into adult age, where you'd need to perform different exercises, casting, or in rare cases, surgery. However, if your case is not overcomplicated, you can try to correct it with the best shoes, such as those shared above.
It is also vital to wear lightweight shoes since they eliminate stress and fatigue in various parts of your foot.