With the vibrant colors of autumn, the fresh chilly air, and the warm embrace of loved ones, fall is the perfect season to capture beautiful family moments through photos. As you come together for a memorable family photo session, don’t underestimate the power of well-thought-out outfits. The right fall family photo outfits can elevate your photos from ordinary to extraordinary.
This guide will provide handy tips and ideas for choosing fall-inspired outfits that will definitely make your fall family photos look amazing.
1. Rustic Fall Look
This look is ideal for a fall family photo session in a field or woodland. The objective is to choose clothing in warm, earthy tones such as oranges, yellows, browns, and greens while including textures like corduroy, flannel, and denim. Combining and matching these elements can create a cohesive and rustic fall look for your whole family.
Image Source: myclickmagazine.com
- Dark-wash jeans: Go for a well-fitted pair of dark jeans to create a solid base for the outfit.
- Chambray shirt: Choose a chambray shirt with a denim-like look.
- Boots: Pair the jeans and shirt with leather boots to add a touch of ruggedness.
- Flowy maxi dress: a maxi dress with floral patterns to create an elegant and whimsical look.
- Boots: Choose knee-high boots that complement the dress.
- Accessories: Consider adding a cozy scarf to enhance the ensemble.
For the Boy
- Overalls: For a rustic feel, dress the kids in overalls in earthy tones like rust, brown, or olive green.
- T-shirt: Pair the bottoms with a t-shirt for a cozy and classic look.
- Boots: Choose weather-appropriate boots to match the overall aesthetic.
2. Cozy Fall Look
This look is perfect for a family photo shoot in a park or around the neighborhood. Overall, the focus of a cozy fall look is comfort and warmth. Choose clothing pieces made of soft and comfortable materials like fleece, knit, or corduroy, and opt for colors that evoke the autumn season. Mixing and matching these elements will help create a cohesive and comfortable look for the entire family.
Image Source: hamratime.com
- Carpenter pants: Opt for a pair of comfortable carpenter pants as the base for the outfit.
- Shirt: Go for a long-sleeve shirt.
- Cozy sweater: Choose a comfy sweater in warm color with a seasonal pattern. Look for materials like knit or fleece for added warmth.
- Boots: Pair the carpenter and top with boots.
- Long-sleeved dress: Select a long-sleeved dress in a fall-inspired pattern. Look for fabrics like knit or corduroy for added coziness.
- Flat shoes: Choose comfortable shoes to complement the dress.
- Optional accessories: Consider adding a fedora hat to enhance the ensemble.
For the Kids:
- Sweatpants: Dress the kids in comfortable sweatpants in neutral or autumnal colors.
- Hoodie: Pair the bottoms with a cozy hoodie featuring a fun print.
- Sneakers: Choose sneakers that match the overall look.
3. Classic Fall Look
This look is ideal for a family photo session in any location. A classic fall look emphasizes tailored pieces, clean lines, and timeless colors. Coordinate the fall family photo outfits by choosing complementary colors and incorporating classic patterns. This allows you to achieve a cohesive and elegant look for the whole family, suitable for any location.
Image Source: erinclaytonphotography.com
- Khakis: Opt for a well-fitted pair of khakis in a neutral color like navy.
- Button-down shirt: Pair the pants with a classic button-down shirt in a complementary or solid color.
- Loafers Stretch Shoes: Complete the look with a pair of loafers for a polished touch.
- Knee-length dress: Choose a knee-length dress in a fall-inspired color. Consider options like plaid, floral, or earthy tones.
- Blazer: Layer the dress with a structured blazer for a polished look.
- Heels: Pair the outfit with comfortable heels, depending on the desired level of formality.
- Optional accessories: Add delicate jewelry, like a pendant necklace, to complement the ensemble.
For the Kids:
- Jeans: Dress the kids in well-fitted, dark-wash, or neutral-colored jeans.
- Polo shirt: Pair the bottoms with a classic polo shirt in a color that complements the rest of the family’s outfits.
- Dress shoes: Choose dress shoes that match the kids’ overall style and comfort level.
4. Monochromatic Fall Look
This is a great way to create a cohesive look for your fall family photoshoot. Focus on choosing outfits in varying shades of the same color family to achieve a monochromatic fall look. This will create an eye-catching, appealing, and cohesive ensemble for the whole family. Experiment with fabrics and textures to add depth and intrigue to your fall family photo outfits.
Image Source: stevencottonphotography.com
- Pants: Choose a pair of pants in a single color that complements the fall season.
- Sweater: Opt for a sweater in a shade that matches or closely complements the pants.
- Shoes: Choose shoes in a neutral or coordinating color that complements the overall family photo outfit.
- Skirt: Choose a pair of skirts for a fall-inspired look.
- Top: Choose a top in the same color family as the skirt.
- Boots: Pair the outfit with fall boots that match or coordinate with the chosen color palette.
- Optional accessories: Consider adding statement earrings that complement the monochromatic ensemble.
For the Kids:
- Skirt: Dress the kid in a skirt in a single color that complements the chosen fall color scheme.
- Top: Pair the bottoms with a top in the same or a closely matching color.
- Shoes: Choose shoes in neutral or coordinating colors to complete the family photo outfit.
5. Fun and Festive Look
A fun and festive look for a fall family picture shoot can add a touch of playfulness and celebration to the occasion. Try bright colors, bold patterns, or playful designs to achieve this look. Mix and match elements to create a celebratory and cheerful ambiance in your family photos. The objective is to express your creativity and have fun with the outfits while capturing the joyful spirit of the occasion.
Image Source: promiflash.de
- Colored pants: Choose a pair of pants in a vibrant and festive color.
- Patterned shirt: Pair the colored pants with a fun, playful shirt with bold patterns.
- Casual shoes: Complete the look with comfortable and stylish casual shoes that complement the outfit.
- Festive dress: Choose a dress in a vibrant color or featuring festive patterns.
- Flats: Opt for flat shoes that match the style of the outfit.
For the Kids:
- Festive bottoms: Dress the kids in bottoms like pants or skirts with vibrant colors or holiday-inspired patterns.
- Playful top or sweater: Pair the bottoms with a lively top or sweater with cute characters, holiday designs, or bright colors.
- Comfortable shoes: Choose comfortable shoes that allow the kids to move freely during the photo shoot.
A Guide to Choosing the Fall Family Photo Outfits
1. Choose the Location.
Before deciding what to wear, talk to your photographer about potential shoot sites and preferences. Your location matters a lot when deciding what to wear. Consider the vibe you are going for as you choose your outfits, and then talk to your photographer about the potential shoot locations.
Image Source: media.actionforchildren.org.uk
Choose outfits that complement the surroundings if it is in a park with vibrant fall leaves. If the photo session is indoors, wear whatever makes you feel cozy and comfortable.
2. Start with Mom’s or Daughter’s Outfit
It can be challenging to know where to start but worry less. Try this! Start with one outfit, and from there, you can add more. We recommend starting with mom or daughter because women’s clothing usually has more colors and patterns.
As a mom or daughter, wear a dress in your favorite color. Dresses will not only look good on you, but they will also make you feel good. If you don’t like dresses, go for a skirt and top, but pick something a little fancier than what you usually wear.
3. Choose a Color Palette
Coordinating colors among family members can create a cohesive and visually appealing aesthetic. Instead of everyone wearing matching outfits, consider two to three coordinating colors, some neutral and one that stands out and brings life to the outfits.
Consider earthy tones such as mustard yellow, olive green, burgundy, or deep orange for fall. These colors usually harmonize well with the season.
4. Dress for the Weather
Fall weather tends to be unpredictable, so ensure you dress accordingly. Bring warm clothing that may be worn or carried during the shoot if it’s chilly. This will keep everyone comfortable and ensure the photo session continues even if it becomes cold.
Image Source: stevencottonphotography.com
It’s always a good idea to consider the weather for the day of the photoshoot to understand better what to expect.
5. Try a Test Run
Have a dress rehearsal before the photo session to see how everyone looks in their outfits. Ensure all the pieces are clean, ironed, and ready to wear. Then, look for a spot in your yard or a local park that resembles the setting of the actual picture session. Consider the backdrop, lighting, and overall ambiance.
Take some test shots to see if the colors and styles complement the intended shooting location well. This will allow you to make any necessary adjustments in time for the big day.
6. Choose Fitted Clothing
Although flowy shirts and dresses are trending, they disguise your shape and make you look less flattering in photos. Look for clothes that are neither too tight nor overly baggy, and consider the balance between the lower and upper halves. If you have a loose top, choose skinny jeans, and with a flowing skirt, choose a fitted top.
7. Remember the Shoes
Shoes can break or make an outfit. Consider where you’d want to have your session. For instance, if you’re in a field, you can’t walk in stilettos. If you’re having trouble finding the right shoes for the family, try doing the shoot in socks (and bringing shoes for the venue).
Frequently Asked Questions on Fall Family Photo Outfits
1. What Colors to Wear for Family Fall Pictures?
Several popular color wheel combinations give you many options for the perfect family photo. Every picture you take will reflect you and your family, and you’ll treasure it for years.
- Denim and Tan
- Denim, yellow, and crimson
- Red, Grey, and Black
- Brown and maroon
- Glitter and white
- Navy and crimson
- Navy, Tan, and Cream
- Crimson, Tan, and Denim
- Blush and teal
2. What Shoes Should I Wear for Fall Family Photos?
Boots, flats, and dress casual shoes are ideal for a fall family photoshoot. Avoid wearing sandals, pumps, and gym shoes for this one. Top off your look with a few accessories to add personal flair or a pop of color. Examples of accessories include jewelry, scarves, hats, and hairpieces.
3. How Can I Look Stylish in the Fall?
- Wear the right shoes.
- Add pieces in trendy fall colors. Add a few accessory pieces or clothing in fashionable fall fashion colors.
- Invest in layering pieces like light-to-mid-weight sweaters, jackets, and scarves, as well as short and quarter-length sleeve tops.
- Highlight your style with fall pieces.
- Add essential autumn pieces.
4. What Colors Not to Wear for Fall Family Pictures?
Some criteria apply all year: black and bright neon colors don’t work well against nature’s softer background and can make people appear washed out. Avoid wearing black, bright, or neon colors to ensure your fall family outfits complement the beautiful fall colors.
5. What Not to Wear for Fall Photos?
Avoid wearing bright or neon colors. These colors can cast a shadow on the skin. Muted colors and earth tones, on the other hand, look better on camera and flatter all skin tones.
6. How to Dress for Fall Colors?
Pair pops of vibrant fall colors like marigold, rust, or dark gray outfits with whites, greens, and blues for a unique look. Monochromatic outfits can also work well; choose slightly lighter or darker shades to wear together to create interest. A pattern blouse or scarf can add interest to an all-gray appearance.