When going hiking, remember to carry with you hiking footwear. Hiking boots are crucial for any outdoor adventure since they protect your feet from uneven terrain, bad weather, biting or stinging insects, and any other natural dangers you may meet on the route. In addition, you can distinguish them from other types of hiking footwear by their mid-height design, which provides best-in-class stability on tricky terrain or while pulling a big load. Here's a list of the best womens hiking boot.
Why Would You Need Hiking Boots?
There are many different types of shoes available, but did you know that each shoe is designed for a certain occasion? Hiking boots are not exceptional. The only shoes that improve your trekking experience are hiking boots or shoes when it comes to hiking. However, other shoes can work to some extent, particularly on level ground, not on rocky, muddy paths that you're more likely to encounter while hiking.
Hiking exposes you to a variety of elements, including water. As a result, hiking shoes and boots come in handy. These boots are waterproof so that you can walk in damp areas stress-free. Also, the boots give the necessary support and rigidity. These are some of the benefits of hiking boots. Now that we understand why you need hiking boots, let's check the best options available.
Best 5 Womens Hiking Boot
1. Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Hiking Boots
- ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Columbia Women's Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot features our lightweight, durable midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return as well as an advanced traction rubber sole for slip-free movement on rough ground.
- HANDY FEATURES: Treacherous days out on the trail are comfortable and worry-free with this boot's waterproof full-grain leather and mesh bootie construction and its durable mesh tongue for breathability.
- ADJUSTABLE FEATURES: The Newton Ridge Plus Waterproof Hiking Boot features a lace-up closure for an adjustable, secure fit.
- FEMININE STYLE: This women's waterproof hiking boot delivers style and durability with its contrasting color combinations and soft mesh exterior.
- OMNI-GRIP: This multi-terrain traction system matches specially formulated compounds and treads to specific environments. A dual-zone winter tread pattern ensures solid footing on surfaces such as ice and snow.
A leather-synthetic hybrid, this shoe is inexpensive yet well built and sturdy. In addition, it has a waterproof construction that protects you against the early morning streams, dew, and showers.
The interior is well ventilated with a breathable mesh. The Omni-Grip tread allows you to tackle rugged and rough terrain and trails confidently. It is designed for people who don't compromise on comfort. You are either in your bed or in your shoes, so invest quality in both.
In terms of basic hiking and standing comfort, this shoe does not disappoint. It is light and comfortable to walk in. On top of that, it wraps around the foot firmly, which implies that you will not have slipping, hot spots or blisters. Your foot will not suffocate when walking in this shoe.
There is no arch pain when hiking in this shoe. The Columbia Newton Ridge Women's Hiking Boots don't cause pain on the arches and ankles. The foot is adequately protected with a hard front, a toe bumper, and a midsole that has been made from molded ethylene foam. Your feet will be grateful for this piece of comfort.
Although it uses a non-Vibram sole, its traction is very impressive. You can hike different terrains without worrying about slipping or sliding. They are stable on the ground, even for rock climbers and outdoor activities.
Good for Hiking in the Snow
The shoes have been perfectly designed for walking even in snowy conditions. However, you can use them during any weather condition, whether it is raining or on sunny days. They still retain the same level of warmth and comfort throughout.
The upper part of this shoe is made of pure leather, save for the tongue made from soft material. The laces are firmly placed over the boot forming a triangular D-ring. With this form of lacing, it is easy to tighten the laces without pulling and adjusting. A single pull is enough, and you can continue with your hike.
The rubber outsole makes for nice finishing and comes with two layers. The white rubber heel and the rugged outsole eliminate any cold or uncomfortable feeling regardless of the texture you are treading on.
Rubber and leather are some of the best combinations for hiking shoes. Therefore, you will not have to worry about water destruction when you purchase these shoes. They have been manufactured with full-grain leather, coupled with a water shield and stain-resistant treatment.
One thing you are going to appreciate about this shoe is the design. The shoes are not your standard winter sports boots. Instead, the addition of leather increases their versatility coupled with looks, comfort, practicality, and protection. So if you are looking for the best winter hiking boot that is not expensive, try out this shoe.
2. Merrell Women's Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Waterproof membrane seals out water and lets moisture escape
- Pigskin leather and mesh upper
- Metal hook traditional lace closure
- Bellows tongue keeps out debris
- Protective toe cap
This waterproof boot has been specifically designed with the form and needs in mind. Whether you are in wet or dry weather, these all-weather and waterproof boots will keep your feet fresh and comfortable.
With a Vibram Multi-Sport sole, they provide great traction, especially for outdoor enthusiasts. In addition, the mesh upper and the waterproof Dura leather plus the tongue keeps debris out of your shoe.
A supportive and lightweight hiking boot is ideal for rugged and rough terrain. It combines performance technology and outstanding comfort to produce a boot that offers utmost protection during hikes.
These women's hiking boots have most of the traits you want in a good backpacking boot. They will not hurt your feet while keeping them warm at the same time. Although they are not as physically appealing as other shoes, the durability and longevity offered by these shoes will be worth more.
The uppers of these trekking boots have been made from polyurethane-coated waterproof fabric and leather. Therefore, they can endure and withstand all forms of weather conditions. So whether it is stormy weather or drizzles, your feet will always remain completely dry, comfortable, and safe whenever they are inside these boots.
The waterproof-breathable membrane, M-Select DRY, lets moisture escape while keeping the weather out. They have been able to create a balance between comfort and stability. Water cannot penetrate your shoe, and at the same time, moisture does not accumulate inside, thanks to the breathable mesh lining. As a result, your feet will be completely sweaty and odor-free.
They have padded tongues, making it easier to tighten your laces for long-distance hikes. The bellows on the tongue also keep debris out of the shoe. So your feet are always protected both from extreme weather elements and debris. The internal part of these boots comes with EVA insoles that you can remove for cleaning or replacement.
The midsoles have been manufactured with M-Bound technology and molded nylon shank for maintaining protection and balance. They also offer you freedom of movement without worrying about blisters or aching feet. They are easy for mobility, incredibly flexible and rested feet at the end of a long hike.
The midsoles have been fitted with air cushion heels that offer extra stability and shock absorption. This implies that hiking in these shoes will not lead to painful and thick blisters on your feet and heels. Additionally, you will not feel any of those painful cramps.
The outsoles of this hiking boot have also been designed with M-select rubber combined with 5 mm lugs. You are going to enjoy hiking when wearing this boot. Apart from the outsoles, the shaft and the rubber outsole are considerable distances from the arch. As such, it cups the entire foot nicely. The shoes are medium weight, not too heavy or too light. Therefore, walking in them feels comfortable, giving you a good posture.
When it comes to supportive footwear for outdoor usage, you should always go for the quality. A hike requires sufficient preparation, and one main factor is nice trail boots. The Merrell Hiking Boots will give your feet a nice feeling, and they are available in different colors.
3. Timberland Women's 6-Inch Premium Waterproof
- Classic boot in waterproof leather featuring lace-up front with rustproof hexagonal eyelets and heavily-padded collar
- Logo embossed at side heel
- Lugged outsole for traction
This original Timberland boot has been specifically designed to fit women's feet. This shoe has been in the market for more than forty years. Significant improvements have been made along the way. Some of them include the addition of anti-fatigue comfort technology.
However, this six-inch boot remains as dependable and sturdy as always. The shoe is designed with premium waterproof leather and seam-sealed construction, ensuring that your feet remain dry always despite the weather conditions.
This shoe fits perfectly for those individuals who spend most of their time in shoes or traveling. When it comes to comfort, this shoe is excellent. There is no discomfort or pain, even when you wear them for an extended time. This can be attributed to the anti-fatigue technology that gives you lasting comfort.
Before you forget, they come with 400 grams of thick insulation. Even in temperatures below freezing point, your feet will still be warm and snug. They remain waterproof, whether it is snow or rain. They have a padded heel and soft sole for optimal support. As such, your feet will always be dry. You will not have to worry about wet or soaked hiking socks.
As earlier indicated, these boots have been around for more than forty years. This has given the manufacturers enough time to handle any issues and integrates quality materials. The current design is premium waterproof leather. On top of that, it has semi-sealed construction so that your feet are always dry.
In addition, there is a padded collar that cushions your ankles for pleasant mobility and fit. Finally, the external fabric is rust-proof to ensure that your original timberland shoe does not look distorted due to wear and tear.
The sole is made with rubber gum technology providing adequate traction on challenging terrain. The timberland heel is around six inches from the ground, giving you adequate ankle protection and support. The steel shank provides additional support to the heel.
Aesthetics and Style
These shoes have been very popular with celebrities over the past year. They are surprisingly versatile and unisex. They look good when coupled with most outfits. The classic yellow is the main color associated with timberland boots. However, many people are surprised to learn that the shoe is available in 17 different colors. They can go and look great with almost any outfit. The shoes do not fade easily, and their original color can be restored using quality suede.
If you are looking for the best hiking boots offered at a bargain, Timberland is a great choice. They will serve you up to five years, and their timeless look is something that will always remain in style.
4. Ariat Women's Terrain H2O Hiking Boot
- ALL-DAY COMFORT: Featuring the ATS technology, the Terrain hiking boots offer durability and all-day comfort; These women's hiking and endurance boots are prepared to take challenges head on; In addition to being ready to tackle the trail, they’re also stirrup friendly to keep you comfortable on horseback as well
- WATERPROOF FOOTWEAR: Robust and rugged, the oiled full-grain leather of these hiking shoes for women is made using the Waterproof PRO technology, keeping the water out and your feet dry, even in heavy rain
- SUPERIOR SHOCK-ABSORPTION: Featuring a lightweight EVA midsole for superior shock absorption and the Duratread outsole for maximum wear resistance and flexibility, you'll stay sure-footed and comfortable; A must have for any rider, hiker or hunter
- ALL DAY DRY: With the Waterproof PRO on the outside and a moisture-wicking lining on the inside, these men's hiking boots will help keep your feet stay dry from dawn to dusk
- SCIENCE OF INNOVATION: Ariat excels in advanced technologies to deliver products that outperform in various conditions; Partnering with world-class biomechanical research groups and testing labs, Ariat strives to improve performance, comfort, and durability
Designed with cutting-edge footwear technology, Ariat is some of the most advanced hiking boots. They come from a line of backpacking boots that provide support and durability, exceptional comfort, design and styles and different color choices. Manufactured with full-grain leather and a waterproof membrane, you are assured that your feet will always remain dry.
Adventurous and lightweight, this pair of boots offer protection and comfort for active feet. The uppers are made from a breathable, extremely durable, and lightweight Cordura material. Besides, long-lasting traction is guaranteed thanks to the Duratread outsoles. They are suitable for all forms of hiking.
In terms of comfort, these boots go full length. A rubber outsole and a leathered top combined with a super comfortable midsole give you a comfortable hike. They do not burden your feet even if you walk for long hours in them.
The Cordura moisture-wicking and full-grain leather will save your feet from weather conditions. Your socks will always remain dry, keeping your feet incredibly warm. The padded collar with a pull-on loop adds to the comfort.
The midsole is manufactured with EVA technology. The shaft is around four inches from the arch. It feels like you have a free foot massage every time you put this shoe on. The heel is narrow enough to make sure that these boots do not slide around when you are walking.
You will never experience any arch pain when you wear this shoe from Ariat. The boots are nicely raised from the ground. It is not too low or too high. You will not experience any winter cold with this pair of boots.
Designed with Advanced Torque Stability, the shoe gives the ultimate foot stability and encourages a good posture. As a result, your back is straightened, you adopt a good posture, and you feel more confident in these shoes.
The Ariat women's hiking boots are easy to put on with no pressure around your ankles. There is a round toe at the front part of the shoe with a rubber toe bumper for double protection. This is to ensure that your toes will never get hurt.
These backpacking boots have enough space at the front, which gives you enough space for foot movement and no stress on the foot. If you are one of those people who get that occasional plantar fasciitis, these shoes will give you the comfort you need for long hours.
The laces are long enough to cover from the toes to the ankle, giving you a fantastic closure for a great fit. In addition, the Duratread outsole is self-cleaning. On top of that, it provides the shoe with performance and durability in every terrain or condition you might find yourself in.
If you are looking for the best hiking boots to take a monkey to the Zoo, this is for you. These boots are not only for hiking; you can work with them round the clock without discomfort. They are made from full-grain leather to give your foot adequate protection.
5. Hi-Tec Women's Bandera Mid-Rise Waterproof Hiking Boot
- Multi-directional traction rubber outsole
- Waterproof, breathable upper
- Ghillie lacing system for a secure fit
- Removable, contoured EVA sockliner for cushioning
Hi-Tec has been making shoes for more than 70 years. They are a reputable and trusted brand when it comes to hiking shoes. From a look and style perspective, this shoe has a very technical style.
The upper part is waterproof suede leather combined with mesh with striped nylon straps. There are different color combinations to choose from, such as camo, olive-brown, gold, and mustard, among different variations of the four colors.
Comfort is the first thing that comes to mind when looking for hiking boots. This is because the boots have been fitted with a foam-contoured insole. However, the insole is removable, and you can add or replace it with a preferred one.
The collar and the tongue of these outdoor boots are very thick. Therefore, you are provided with good cushioning surrounding the upper foot and the lower ankle. However, this feature has been designed to work with laces. The padding is just enough to allow proper lacing.
The moisture-wicking lining on the Banderas will keep your feet dry. They are very comfortable walking with them during medium to light showers since they keep all the water out.
Weight and Sizing
These shoes weigh around 20 oz that is not heavy for a backpacking boot. The weight of the boots reflects their construction. They are not heavy for day hiking while still sturdy enough for backpacking trips.
This hiking boot presents a wide range of sizing options in terms of sizing. Therefore, you can order them a size up to allow thicker socks.
Support and Stability
The shaft of the trail boots has a length of about five inches from the arch. This is the average for most boots in the mid hiking category. On top of that, the ankle is supported with a steel shank to ensure stability and support while moving. The upper foot area and the ankle are protected by a thick padded tongue of around six inches. On top of that, the tongue on the Banderas is gusseted, done intentionally to keep out debris.
The midsole is designed using EVA technology. This material has a good impact and stress resistance. The outer sole has air pockets that provide support cushioning. The cup sole is made from traction rubber; the outsole is carbon rubber with non-marking and multi-directional traction to ensure added grip.
These hiking boots are best used for light to mid hiking, especially on well-maintained tracks and trails. They have been designed to handle light and short day hiking, considering reasonable prices. This is another good use for this amazing pair of boots for those on fishing trips.
The Banderas are good entry-level boots and a good value for money. The Banderas is a reputable brand, and they have not disappointed on this boot. It is comfortable, stable, and supportive. In addition, the boot is sturdy enough to handle the challenges presented by hiking.
Factors to Consider When Looking for Best Womens Hiking Boot
1. Type of hiking boots
When looking for the best hiking boots for women, you will come across three boots; all-around, mid-height trail runner and mountain.
- All-around: These boots are above-the-ankle and provide excellent support and protection thanks to solid outsoles, moderately stiff midsoles, substantial rands and toe bumpers, and tough upper materials. Most hikers and backpackers prefer a boot in our All-around category, while those with specific demands can choose from a trail runner or mountain boot.
- Mid-height trail runner: These boots are flexible, lightweight, and cushioned; they are great for comfort and speed on long days, though with more support than a conventional trail running shoe. Conversely, mid-height trail runners are far less stiff, supporting, and protective overall than conventional hiking boots, and their longevity is particularly poor.
- Mountain: The boots are the most sturdy and go one step further than a traditional hiker in terms of support, durability, protection and traction. Because of their hardness, these boots combine better with aluminum crampons than more flexible versions.
Generally, the weight specification can reveal a lot about a boot: A lighter design boot will be less protective, supporting, and durable overall; however, the advantages include reduced pressure on the body and greater flex and cushion, which frequently translates to better comfort. Hikers and backpackers will look for a balance of performance and weight. If you are sticking to the trail with a low load, mid-height trail runners or the best lightweight hiking boots would be great, while those packing more gear or trekking cross-country will benefit from the increased support of a heavier boot.
When looking for the best women's hiking boots, you will realize that most of the boots are waterproof, which keeps your feet dry whether crossing streams, dodging puddles or trekking in light rains. Most designs include a waterproof and breathable membrane immediately within the outer cloth. In addition to the membrane, most hiking boots include a water-repellent coating on the exterior that helps water droplets bead up and shed.
Whether heavy-duty hiking boots or lightweight hiking boots, ensure they're breathable when looking for hiking boot options. Besides, as mentioned earlier, a waterproof boot has an intrinsic influence on breathability. By preventing water from entering the outside, less moisture from your sweat can quickly and readily leave from the inside, causing all types of waterproof footwear to run hot in the summer. However, there are significant variances in the capacity of different boot types to ventilate.
5. Stability and support
When looking for the best women's hiking boot, consider the stability and support. Hiking boots are usually designed to be stable underfoot, which often involves a firm outsole and a shank, a piece of hard plastic put between the midsole and outsole. Depending on the intended application, the plastic's length might range from just beneath the arch to the entire length of the boot.
A stiff boot provides a stable platform, which allows the feet to work less hard during ascents and descents and on off-camber terrain. As a result, boots in our mountain category are among the stiffest on the market, making them ideal for off-trail travel with a large load. Conversely, we recommend that mid-height trail runners forego a shank's extra structure, translating to greater flexibility and less stability. Besides, if you're hiking for long and have a heavy pack, a more sturdy boot that increases ankle support is a great option, such as the all-around Salomon X Ultra.
6. Upper materials
Before buying the best women's hiking boot, confirm the quality of the upper materials. The upper of a boot often comprises synthetic nylon, mesh, and leather. Besides, the material directly connects with the boot's durability, breathability, water resistance, and weight.
- Synthetic nylon and mesh: In the All-around category, woven nylon and open mesh nylon panels are common on mid-height trail runners and hiking boots. These synthetic materials often outperform natural fabrics in terms of breathability and weight savings, and they dry out faster when wet. Nonetheless, they're not very durable, and they do not provide the same level of protection as a thicker leather boot.
- Full-grain leather: Full-grain leather is thicker, stiffer, and more durable than other leathers such as nubuck. These materials aren't especially light or breathable but are extremely sturdy and water-resistant. The good thing with the material is certain styles can be resoled, so you don't have to replace the entire boot when the lugs wear out.
- Nubuck leather: is a popular material for hiking boots in our All-around and mountain categories. It is full-grain leather but has a brushed finish with a suede-like feel. The softer touch leather is lighter and more flexible than classic, glossy full-leather options, although the thinner structure compromises durability. Furthermore, nubuck leather breathes better than full-grain leather and is less prone to scuff marks due to its brushed texture. Besides, nubuck boots are heavier than synthetic designs, but the benefit is enhanced durability and protection and a tighter fit with time.
7. Midsole types
Another factor to consider before buying the best women's hiking boot is the midsole types. Hiking over off-camber terrain or carrying heavy luggage may put a lot of strain on your feet, so ensure your hiking boot has a solid base. Midsoles can range from very thin and flexible to stiff and robust. Most are made from EVA foam, TPU, or a mix of the two.
- EVA: EVA foam is common in the midsole of most mid-height trail runners and lightweight hiking boots. The comfortable, soft material absorbs part of the sting of the heel or midfoot hits while being exceptionally lightweight. Not all EVA should be treated the same way, and patented kinds might range from extremely soft to somewhat stiff. We prefer a strong and stable midsole over excessive cushioning when recording substantial kilometers on rougher terrain. Conversely, soft midsoles tend to break down over time, so anticipate these boots to pack out faster than dedicated hiking boots.
- TPU: Manufacturers will utilize a thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU) midsole for tougher applications or separate your feet from harsh impacts. This tough material is less comfortable than EVA. Still, it provides more protection and stability underfoot, so it is common in all-around and mountain boots but not in the trail-runner-inspired styles above. Boots with TPU in the midsole will retain their shape for longer and not collapse as easily as EVA.
8. Toe protection
When looking for the best women's hiking boot, pay attention to the toe protection. Toe caps or rubber rands usually cover the front of most hiking boots and are an important part of backpacking boot design. Besides, these thick rubber parts are designed to hold your toes together if you accidentally kick a boulder on the route.