If you are experiencing persistent pain or soreness in the ball of your foot or pain in the arch area, it is most likely that you have Metatarsalgia. Metatarsalgia is mainly caused by inappropriate footwear, excessive activities, or stain. Having the best shoes for metatarsalgia will help reduce, treat, and prevent the pain.
Metatarsalgia could also be caused by arthritis, diabetes, high arches, stress fractures, excess weight, and Overpronation. Finding a shoe that will offer great arch support, great cushioning, wide forefoot area, and low heel or flat-soled will help treat the metatarsalgia. It is equally important to pay attention to your footwear's upper, insole, and outsole.
Choosing a perfect shoe suitable for metatarsalgia can be tasking. Therefore we have researched and prepared a list of the five best metatarsal shoes with their pros and cons. We have further discussed a buying guide that will help you make an informed choice when shopping for a supportive, comfortable, and durable pair.
1. New Balance 1080v10 Running Shoes
- Cushioned Running Shoes for Every Runner: Part of the Fresh Foam X collection, these shoes use our latest advancements in data to design to deliver precise plushness exactly where you need it
- Support and Durability: This shoe features a Hypoknit upper designed to provide strategic areas of stretch and support, in addition to a blown rubber outsole for impressive durability
- Perfect Fit: These comfortable running shoes include a bootie upper construction and an Ultra Heel design, both of which hug the back of the foot for a snug, supportive fit
- Breathable and Lightweight Running Shoes: The supportive engineered knit upper includes synthetic and mesh materials for amazing breathability during runs of any distance
- Keep Your Feet Comfortable: The Ortholite sockliner in these performance running shoes helps keep your feet feeling fresh as you power through your toughest runs
New Balance 880v10 are the best running shoes designed for people who suffer from metatarsal pain, Plantar Fasciitis, and any other painful condition. In addition, the New Balance 1080v10 features an advanced upper that is constructed with Hypoknit, which is super breathable and flexible.
The New Balance 1080v10 has a snug fit that is great for anyone and has stitched sides that give the midfoot structure. The shoe has plenty of room in the toe box to improve the airflow and breathability in the toe areas. In addition, the shoe is designed with a heel counter that gives you enough arch support.
The outsole of the New Balance 1080v10 shoe for metatarsalgia is made of blown rubber that helps improve the cushioning of the shoe. The rubber outsole also has great traction, even on wet surfaces. The amazing thing is that the shoe comes in a range of colors and is also available for children.
2. Brooks Ghost 13
- THIS WOMEN'S SHOE IS FOR: The Cascadia 15 is for runners who want to feel protected while trail running. The Cascadia 15 offers soft cushioning to take on any trail with the knowledge their shoes will...
- RUGGED PROTECTION: The Ballistic Rock Shield protects your foot from rocks and roots whlie BioMoGo DNA cushions every stride.
- ALL-TERRAIN STABILITY: Our unique Pivot Post System provides a stable platform that allows your foot to adapt to any terrain.
- ENHANCED FIT: Engineered monoloop mesh and 3D Fit Print in the upper increase breathability and improve drainage for a distraction-free fit.
- GORTEX UPPER: New lightweight GORE-TEXInvisible Fit membrane is bonded directly to the upper for a lighter, more flexible fit.
Brooks Ghost 13 are the best shoes for metatarsalgia for anyone looking to get a smooth and soft shoe. The Ghost 13 are lightweight, supportive, and comfortable running shoes for metatarsalgia. The Brooks 13 shoe is designed with a BioMoGo DNA LOFT shock absorption midsole to give you a perfect softness for under your foot. DNA LOFT of the shoe stretches to the forefoot area from the heel and offers easy transition.
The Ghost 13 is designed to give you enhanced transition and is certified by PDAC A5500. In addition, the Brooks 13 shoe has improved performance and a great fit. The upper of the Brooks 13 shoe is designed with a breathable mesh that is super flexible and that gives you great support and stretch. It is a quintessential pair if you have wide feet because the shoe can stretch and expand to fit you perfectly.
The toe box of the Brooks 13 shoe is roomy, which is great for anyone with the ball of the foot or any other foot issues like blisters, inching, and hot spots. Your midfoot will cover your foot perfectly and offers great heel support.
3. HOKA ONE Bondi 6 Running Shoe
HOKA ONE Bondi 6 Running and Walking Shoe is a perfect shoe for metatarsalgia. The shoe is designed with Eva midsole cushioning that acts as shock absorbers and helps to subdue the pressure on the ball of your foot and offer metatarsal support.
The Hoka One Bondi 6 shoe is designed to give you a smooth ride and a superb fit. It has a perfect light upper that will keep your foot in place all day. Bondi 6 offers great arch support, a roomy toe area, and a light Eva midsole providing ample cushioning and support in the ball of the foot.
HOKA ONE Bondi 6 Running and Walking Shoe is made of a rubber outsole that will help reduce the shoe's weight while maximizing its durability. The outsole will also provide great tractions and stability on any surface and provide great ground contact and a pain-free walking experience.
4. Adidas Men's Ultraboost 20
- Heel cage protects the Achilles and adds stability
- FORMOTION cushioning technology adapts to changes in the ground beneath you
- Techfit four-way stretch mesh upper gives a sock-like fit
- TORSION SYSTEM controls twisting and helps energy transfer
Adidas Men's Ultraboost 20 are the best shoes for metatarsalgia constructed to be the optimal walking and running shoe. The shoe is stylish and super functional, with the upper of the shoe having a super breathable Primeknit 360 that stretches and fully versatile, which makes them super comfortable shoes.
Adidas Men's Ultraboost 20 has a midfoot that provides you with optimal stability and great motion control. The shoe is designed with a 3D heel frame, making them a great option if you have high arches because they provide enough arch support. The midsole runs from heel to toe, which boosts the shoe's comfortability and provides the metatarsal support that you require.
The outsole of these walking shoes is made with rubber and has an advanced Torsion Spring Support system that provides you with great stability and transitions.
5. ASICS Women's Gel-Venture 8 Running Shoes
- GEL Technology: Cushioning provides excellent shock absorption
- Re-engineered outsole lugs for better off-road traction: Improves ankle support.
- Lightweight: Cushioning provides excellent shock absorption
- Lightweight: Attenuates shock during impact phase and allows for a smooth transition to midstance.
- Trail Specific Outsole: Reversed lugs provide uphill and downhill traction on all types of terrain.
ASICS Women's Gel-Venture 8 Running and walking shoes are known to be the most durable, comfortable, and supportive shoes on the market today. The Asics Gel Venture Shoe is the best shoe for metatarsalgia or people with diabetes.
This best shoe for metatarsalgia has a 3D print design with a combination of mesh and synthetic material that gives you the flexibility and comfort you need. The shoe is designed with a rubber outsole that provides you with great traction. It also has metatarsal pads to give you additional cushion on the forefoot area and the injured area.
The amazing thing is that the shoe has a removable insole that will allow you to change the inserts and put your customized inserts. Additionally, Asics has a great reputation for having high-quality products.
Factors to Consider When Buying the Best Shoes For Metatarsalgia
When buying any shoe for your needs, the first thing you should look out for is the shoe's comfortability. You will need to get a shoe that fits you right and that provides maximum comfort. If your shoe is not comfortable enough, it will be difficult to heel, especially for the ball of foot pain and plantar fasciitis, and it can cause stress fractures in the feet.
Breathability may provide you with comfort, although it is not a good enough factor to show that the shoe is comfortable. You should check if that footwear has a great insole, midsole, and outsole; this will ensure that the shoe has high shock absorption features. Also, you will check the cushioning of the shoe and make sure that the shoe is great for the ball of the foot pain. Some of the best metatarsalgia shoes will have cushioning made of EVA cushioning and DNA loft material which is great for any foot pains.
The second very crucial factor to consider is the support that the best shoes for metatarsalgia will offer. Most people suffer from ball of foot pain but too much pressure on the foot or poor arch support.
Therefore it is paramount that you get the best walking shoes or running shoes that will provide maximum support for your foot; this way, you are guaranteed great ankle, heel, and arch support.
Shoes with great support will also ensure that you have perfect heel stability, giving you proper body alignment to lower any foot pain, knee, and back pain.
The outsole is an important consideration you will want to make, particularly if you suffer from metatarsal pain. Most of the most suitable shoes have an outsole made of rubber. The rubber outsole will not only make the shoe lighter but will also provide a great traction groove. In addition, A rubber outsole s also durable and has perfect shock absorption qualities.
4. Upper of the Shoe
Another very important thing to consider while purchasing the best metatarsalgia shoes is the upper of the shoes. The upper part will often cause metatarsalgia pain if the shoe is very tight and is made of stiff material.
You can opt for shoes made with flexible materials like knit material or mesh, which are highly breathable. Stretch material s also another great fabric you can opt for because they give you the ability to adapt to your shoe, which means they will offer a perfect fit.
It is also essential to make sure that you look at the durability of the shoe. Check if the best running shoe is made of quality and durable material that will last longer. The outsole, midsole, and upper part of the footwear should be made of high-quality material. Also, check how sustainable the shoe is and make a shoe you will use footwear under any weather condition.
The shoe you purchase should be lightweight, especially if you have pain in the ball of the foot. Getting heavy shoes will add more strain and pressure to your foot which will lead to excess pain. Lightweight shoes are not only great for running shoes but will have more benefits to your whole body as well.
The footwear you buy should provide comfortable and be great to have all day long. Lightweight shoes will most likely be super breathable due to the lightweight materials used to make them.
If you have foot issues like metatarsalgia, you must pay attention to the lining of the shoe you are investing in. It would be best if you considered getting cushioned and soft lining of the shoe o ensure that the shoe will get the comfort you need for pain relief.
Frequently Asked Questions about the best shoes for the ball of foot pain
1. How long does it take for the ball of the foot to heal?
The ball of the foot will take roughly three to six months to heal completely. It is recommended that you purchase the best shoes for metatarsalgia that are of high quality, offer maximum comfort to your feet to help with quick healing. Stiff soled shoes and metatarsal pad inserts are very good when it comes to metatarsalgia.
2. Can I run with Metatarsalgia?
Yes, it is possible to run with metatarsal if you have super comfortable and cushioned running or walking shoes. If you still experience the pain, you should consider resting for some time to lower the pressure or inflammation on your foot. Having a shoe with a wide toe box will also help with pressure relief. If the pain perseveres, it is recommended that you see a doctor for further treatment.